Thursday, July 8, 2010

Motion Sensor Equipped Bathrooms

Alright so my pet peeve of the day is bathrooms that are equipped with motion sensor everything. You know what I'm talking about the sinks and soap dispensers, toilets, hand dryers and all that nonsense.

Now don't get me wrong I'm actually quite alright with the toilets doing their own thing even if sometimes I've been at a urinal and it decides to prematurely flush. In the end it keeps me from having to touch the toilet. Now I know you're sitting there saying "But that's what they are all for" and I will say "Yes that's true, but the other automatic things aren't very efficient." Why you ask? I'm glad you did because I'll explain.

Automatic Soap Dispensers - These tend to not be efficient because they don't really give you enough soap with just one squirt so there you are having to keep waving your hand underneath it until you get the desired amount. And the one I have at my work always keeps going off while you're actually washing your hands so when you get done there is soap just sitting in the sink. Quite annoying.

Automatic Faucets - Also tend to not be that great. My first reason here is that each faucet has its own spot you have to put your hand to activate it. Well this may not always be the most appropriate place to hold your hands while washing them so then there you are again waving your hand back and forth to make the water come on. Also sometimes you can't find the spot to start the water so there are you are with soapy hands and no water. Lastly with these is water pressure and temperature control. I like to wash my hands in warm water, but not scalding or freezing. I've noticed the water at Chicago Union Station is so hot it hurts and the water comes out so hard the first time I didn't know it and it went all over my shirt. That was embarrassing.

Automatic Hand Towels - Again like the soap I feel these just never give you enough. So you have to keep waving to get more towels. And the ones that blow air just take FOREVER to work and always leave behind some water. The only people who've perfected this process is Dyson. You know the vacuum people? Yeah well they created the Dyson Air Blade http://ehanddryers.com/images/AHD--Dyson-Airblade.png It's pretty amazing and I first saw this in a bar. I think every place should have these instead.

So yeah there's my bit on those stupid automatic things. Anyone else feel this way?

3 comments:

  1. I can honestly say I've never had any of these problems. Maybe it's because I'm Asian and technology loves me, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post of bathroom equipments. If you want to know more about the other equipments then visit http://www.askonengineers.com

    ReplyDelete