Sunday, July 4, 2010

True Meaning of Indepence and Freedom


So this has been the first 4th of July that I haven't had some kind of festivities planned with either friends of my family. Therefore today for me has been full of sleeping in to a ridiculous hour and then waking up and going shopping for some of the inevitable deals that were out there today. And as I sit here waiting for darkness to approach and sit in my window to catch a glimpse of the random fireworks that people set off tonight I can't help but think about what today is really about.

Is it about cookouts, fireworks, and 4th of July parades? My answer is no. Today is definitely a day for celebration and the previous are things we use to create that celebration. But even without those we still can remember and celebrate the meaning of today. Today is about our countries Independence and the Freedom associated with it.

Dictionary.com defines independence as "freedom from the control, influence, support, aid, or the like, of others." and freedom as "Exemption from the arbitrary exercise of authority in the performance of a specific action; civil liberty." What these definitions don't encompass however is sacrifice.

Sacrifice is ultimately what created this country 234 years ago. And today I think a lot of people forget how much was necessary to sacrifice to have the amazing country we do today. Even today as I sit in my apartment in my comfortable AC I know that half way around the world there are Americans fighting for me. Maybe not specifically for me but for Americans.

It's because of soldiers 234 years ago I have some of the most basic rights...speech, press, religion, and so on and so forth. But even today while there is no tyrant oppressing our rights as a population, we still have soldiers fighting for us and in general for freedom.

So today I do hope you had a great time celebrating or doing whatever you did but take some time to remember why it is we can celebrate today. Be proud of the country we live and what we stand for, and be proud of the soldiers, the men and women who every day put on their uniforms and fight under the Stars and Stripes of our flag. I chose the picture for this post because of the sacrifice those soldiers made. I may not know who they are but I thank them for what they did. For putting aside their own personal safety and risking it all for their country.

I'm damn proud to be an American!

What does the 4th of July mean to you?

2 comments:

  1. America means being the best there ever was. America means doing what we want, when we want. The 4th of July is a day we can sit back and relax because we can, because we are the United States of America. Freedoms we have because of all of the men (and a few women) who have put their lives on the line to die for our great country (land of the free because of the brave), and everything that it stands for. God Bless the United States of America. God Bless everyone who loves it, and fuck all of those who don't. We are the best and will continue being the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow dude spell independence right.

    ReplyDelete