Wednesday, June 30, 2010

3D Technology = Bad


This post is dedicated to Cora Daniel.

Alright so I'm a big fan of technology. I mean a new gadget comes out and I want it so bad. I get excited for every techno conference and when they announce new things. Heck I was even excited for the new iPhone 4 when I don't even have and never have owned one of the damn things.

My friend Cora is the exact opposite of me when it comes to technology. She hates it. She wishes it would just stand still and not continue to change every 5 seconds. She is my friend that still has a VCR and loves it. She sent me a message one day that was a picture of a Best Buy ad. It was advertising those new 3D ready HDTVs. Her only comment "Pissed."

Well I have to say...for once when it comes to technology...I totally agree!

Now don't get me wrong, I think 3D movies can be really cool. I saw Avatar in 3D IMAX (this is really the only kind of 3D viewing I approve of) and it was amazing. I don't know if it would have been the same not that way. But it's really starting to get on my nerves that a lot of the movies that are coming out now are in 3D. And I completely agree with Cora on the fact that in home 3D TVs are just ridiculous!

First my problem with movies constantly coming out in 3D in theaters. It used to be really special when a movie came out in 3D, like a big deal movie or something. Now it's all kinds of movies. Also to my knowledge (and feel free to correct me here) 3D movies cost more to go see. This means ticket prices (which is a completely separate rant and rave) which are already high, will go higher if everything starts coming out in 3D. Then comes those dang glasses you have to wear to actually see the 3D. They are annoying and not always that comfortable.

My problem with the 3D TVs is more along the lines of "what's the point?" Again I mean it's not like your 42" TV will compare anything to the IMAX theaters. The 3D there is great BECAUSE of the super massive screen. Also I go back to the idea of you're sitting in your home...on your couch...trying to be comfortable; who wants to wear those stupid 3D glasses!? No one. I mean I've seen these commercials advertising 3D sports and video games and such, and I have to ask myself...is it really that big of a deal? My answer...no.

Also what happens if this becomes the new norm? Cora and I are worried that our current DVD collections are going to become obsolete and we are going to be very upset by that.

So I'm curious what everyone else thinks about this new move to 3D TVs and more 3D movies in theaters. Do you like it? Hate it? Why or why not?

1 comment:

  1. Don't like it very much. I find the glasses mostly annoying and the 3D not that spectacular; i prefer 2D usually with more focus on imagination rather than spectacle :D

    ReplyDelete